Tuesday, October 18, 2005

I really, really want a donut right now.

I really would bite the head off of a live librarian for a glazed chocolate cake donut right this minute.

There -- that is off my chest. I learned in therapy that it is important to acknowledge how you are feeling. Some things are productive and others are not, but it is constructive to take ownership of your feelings and not to live in denial. There. You have it. I would canabalize a low-level civil servant (in a circus show, if need be) for a sweet and cakey chocolate pastry.

We had a very pleasant dinner in our sukkah for the first night of the festival. We had Norbert's classmate, Lena, and her family over. I served roasted salmon, rice, haricot verts, and a salad, with decaf and a cheesecake for dessert. We had a fire in the fireplace, which was a nice addition to the sukkah this year.

Tonight we will host Norbert's trombone teacher, Liz, and her partner, Melanie. Liz is a vegetarian, so I am making a 7 Treasures tagine with squash, sweet potato, green beans, chickpeas, onions, tomatoes, and carrots -- spicey and slow cooked, served with couscous.

Sukkot is one of my favorite of the Jewish holidays. Eight days spent entertaining and "living" in an outdoor shelter, lots of friends, lots of eating. I'll admit, it is a lot of work, but it is also peaceful and welcoming. One day of the festival we will host an "Open Sukkah" -- part of the Hyde Park Sukkah Hop. So we'll have lots and lots of people.

I still want a damn donut.

No comments: