Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Here a Bitch! There a Bitch! Everywhere a Stitch-n-Bitch!

I haven't written anything since Sukkot -- mostly because I'm a bit intimidated by the whole blog thing. Every time I think about writing, I question whether what I have to say is worth being written down. It occurs to me, however, that if I only write "worthy" material, I'll never post. ANd I don't think this blog should be accompanied by guilt. Consequently, I will write and post when I damn well feel like it -- and I don't expect it to contain anything profound or noteworthy.

I was reading the Chicago Tribune last week and happened on to an article about how popular knitting is. It mentioned two things of interest to me: a new knit shop in the South Loop named Loopy Yarns and a reference to Stitch-n-Bitch Chicago, which connects people to knitting groups in their area.

I only had a few minutes on Saturday to stop in at Loopy Yarns, but I was there long enough to make theses observations:

When they say "One of our goals is to be the friendliest and most helpful yarn store you've ever been in" -- they really, really mean it. I think every female knitter I know has a story about yarn shops which offer begrudging service or rudeness to their customers. I find that it is even worse for me. But Loopy was a different experience altogether.

The store is beautiful. Really, really beautiful. They have a nice assortment of fibers. Everything has a clearly marked price. There are several comfortable places to sit and knit -- and Shirl, who assisted me with my purchase -- was quick to invite me in to knit with them.

They obviously want to make the shop convenient for the customer! (Now there's a concept!) Their hours probably vary a bit too much -- they might prove to be confusing -- but here they are:

Monday 11:30 am to 6:00 pm
Tuesday 11:30 am to 8:00 pm
Closed Wednesday
Thursday 11:30 am to 7:00 pm
Friday 11:30 am to 9:00 pm
Saturday 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
Sunday 1:00 pm to 6:00 pm

Staying open 'til 8:00 one night and 9:00 another really makes it accessible to working people.

Last night I attended the Hyde Park Stitch-n-Bitch, which was a lot of fun. We met in the cafe of a bookstore and knit and talked and laughed for three hours. I was the only guy there -- no surprise -- and the women were welcoming, funny, and gracious. I enjoyed it very much. My only complaint was with the coffee -- not very good at all.

I'm currently working on a garnet colored cabled scarf for my sister-in-law. It is very pretty, and a welcome break from the tedious knitting in the round for the three Gryffindor scarves I made. Note to self: I still need to block and fringe the scarves if we want to wear them to "Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire" on Friday.

3 comments:

the fiddlin' fool said...

Loopy is a wonderful store, it is true. Lots of sock yarn there.

This is totally unrelated, but if you're into Celtic music, we do a radio show in WHPK, Sunday nights at 9.

Good to find another male knitter in Chicago!

Lynette said...

i'm really impressed with your work. it's very nice to meet another chicago knitter. if you're interested, there's an oak lawn SnB group that meets on wednesday nights at Panera. 105th & Cicero from 7-9p.m.

Lynette said...

oh, and isn't Vicky and Loopy's the best? ;)