Monday, March 06, 2006

ON THE NEEDLES

I finished the socks for Norbert's trombone teacher (in a blueberry color of Cascade Fixation) yesterday and immediately cast on another pair using Reggia 4 ply Banner in Slate, pictured above.

I decided to use the Baby Cable Rib pattern from "Sesational Knit Socks" because, while I wanted something textured, I don't know that I can keep track of more than four rows in a pattern. I loose track of what row I'm on, and when you throw cables in, it maked it even harder for me to count accurately.

I love how this is knitting up. I love the yarn, I love the color, and I love the stitch. Especially important for me is the color. I wear a lot of black and don't wear a lot of colors -- I usually feel like I'm letting my hair down if I wear grey! My first socks were a bit of a jolt -- wild colors and lots of them -- I wanted something a little more reserved for my next pair. (What I'd really like to find is a quality cotton sock yarn in black! No luck so far.)

I'm going to order some black wool from KnitPicks and see how it knits up. But, like so many of my brothers and sisters before me, I have fallen prey to the addictive qualities of socks. I just can't get enough!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your choice of pattern for the shades of grey socks. Textured socks always seem to fit a little better.

And socks addicting? Yup, like eatting potato chips. I've got one on my desk that I only knit while on conference calls.

Anonymous said...

I love your choice of pattern for the shades of grey socks. Textured socks always seem to fit a little better.

And socks addicting? Yup, like eatting potato chips. I've got one on my desk that I only knit while on conference calls.

the fiddlin' fool said...

You're a sock maniac! I'm still sloshing on through my Fiesta Feet. It will be nice to cast on a simpler pair of socks.

Anonymous said...

You might try Opal sock yarn in the gray. I just bought some to make socks for my husband that only wears dark colors for work.