Wednesday, April 04, 2007

FROM BONDAGE TO FREEDOM...

...AND BACK AGAIN.

So -- lots and lots to catch up on.

Friday was my last day at my firm. It was sad, but I lived through it and was prepared for 2 weeks "vacation before starting my new job.

We left immediately for Toledo, Ohio where we spent the weekend and the beginning of Passover with dear friends.

On Monday, before the seder, I got a call from the partner for whom I have worked. He had chosen a firm and wanted to know if I would consider following him. An hour later the firm called.

This morning I met with them. And an hour after that I had a firm offer. A better offer. A much larger firm. Better money, fewer hours, and much more flexibility. And I get to work for the guy I've been working for, which is the major plus. I accepted.

I tried three times to call the partner at the other firm and got her voice mail. I will leave a message tomorrow for her to call me. I feel like a pusbag for bailing on them, but I need to think about what is the right decision for my family, and there is no doubt in my mind that I made the right one.

As for knitting, I haven't gotten too far. Kwiky taught me the crocheted provisional cast on, which worked well, but every time I knit the first row of the pattern I come up with the wrong number of stitches at the end. I'm going to make a lace book and see if that helps.

My angst is nearly over -- now I just have to start the new job and dazzle them. The dazzling should be the easy part.

Thanks again to everyone who offered such kind and encouraging words. I am very lucky.

13 comments:

hugs said...

Every single time I do the crocheted provisional cast on I end up with the wrong number as well. This happens even though I drive myself crazy counting several different ways and making sure that I have knitted the correct number when I first start. It makes me feel really insane sometimes.

Congratulations on the better offer. I'm sure the other firm will understand. They may be disappointed, but like you said, you need to choose for your family and for your long term happiness. I'm really glad things are looking up.

Angie said...

Don't sell yourself short Adian, you are not necessarily lucky, but good, in fact very good and dedicated to what you do and because of that you are highly sought after. Pat yourself on the back - this time the good guy won.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on a better and more family friendly offer.

I am sure you feel bad because you are an honest person but everyone, including you, needs to look out for what is best for your family.

Congrats again!!

Diane said...

Excellent news about the new job. Flexibility is so important when you have a family; you wouldn't want to miss an important Norbert event because of work.

Anonymous said...

See? No sweat! And you could dazzle them in your sleep. It all turned out great, I'm thrilled for you.
CC Mary

Roggey said...

Congrats on the new gig! Don't beat yourself up over the other job being ditched - it happens.

Chicago Jen said...

Oh Aidan,

Congratulations!! That's just wonderful! What a Happy Passover for you. Don't worry about the other firm they'll get by and you will move and thrive. And for that, you are truly blessed. Sleep well, good man!

Nat said...

yeay! i'm so happy for you. You must be so relieved.

Kate A. said...

Yay!!!! Good things DO come to good people!!

Always nice to have some confirmation of that...

Leslie said...

I'm so very happy you got that offer before you started the other job; imagine how you would feel leaving them after only a week :) This story proves that good things can happpen to good people.

Your partner wouldn't have brought you to his new firm if he hadn't known you to be the absolute best, have no fears about wowing them.

blessings and Gut Pesach

mc78 said...

I knew you would get a job with your favorite lawyer all along. Maybe I should replace Miss Cleo on the Psychic Network.

Jon said...

You have friends in Toledo, Ohio? I'm from Toledo. How small a blogosphere it is...

Aidan said...

I absolutely LOVE Toledo. We visit friends there every year. It is our favorite vacation oof the eyear.

Have you been to the glass wing of the art museum? If not, it will blow you away. They have a spectacular glass-blowing studio with high-tech viewing area. Really amazing.