- Norbert's school play -- two performances.
- Clean the school kitchen and unload first load of equipment and ingredients.
- Wash and dry kitchen utensils.
- Make final lists for market and greengrocer.
- Go to Target and pick up game for Norbert's class fundraiser.
- Work. 8 hours. Or maybe more.
- Phone in final orders to market and greengrocer.
- Check linens for Friday night dinner for our chavurah and our of town guests.
- Arrange for someone to pick up food for Friday dinner.
- While I'm at it, see if I can find someone to pick up the two cakes from Costco on Friday.
- Photocopy program for the bar mitzvah.
- Go to Costco. Buy 35 pounds of lox. And 5 crates of clementine oranges. Take to synagogue to refrigerate. Pick up the rest of the stuff we need from Costco.
- Pick up Decaf at Trader Joe's. (The darker roast, the better.)
- Buy soda for Friday night.
- Fold 250 napkins.
- Pick up orders from the restaurant supply company and the wholesale grocer. Unload at the school kitchen after noon.
- 8:30 am to 8:30 p.m. -- cooking at the school kitchen. And cleaning up. And labeling everything.
- Buy 4 mylar (NOT latex) balloons for the kid tables.
- 5:30 a.m. -- make 2 large batches of challah dough.
- 8:00 am -- set up 25 round tables and 8 buffet tables. Set up 250 chairs. Put on table linens. Set out the table centerpieces. Put the napkins around. Put the balloons on the kid tables. Carry food over from school. Put wine and soda to chill.
- 11:30 am -- set up 9 round tables and 90 chairs at site for the Friday night service and dinner. Put the linens around, plates, glasses, and drinks in place.
- 2:00 p.m. -- back home to bake challah. Bathe. Maybe nap. (Yeah. Right.)
- 5:30 -- Dress and to the site for service and dinner. Give instructions to the server helping with serving and cleanup.
- 6:30 -- Relax. Shabbat begins. Singing. Praying. Kvelling. Eating. Singing. Laughing.
- 10:00 -- cleanup. Load up the car. Go home. Go to bed.
- 9:00 -- arrive at synagogue. Check with catering company responsible for service.
- 9:30 -- our boy becomes a man.
- 12:00 -- lunch
- 1:00 -- games for the kids. The JCC will be open for free time.
- 4:00 -- snacks. Then home.
- 7:30 -- leftovers at our house. Family and friends hang out. No pressure.
- 11:00 -- I throw family and friends out. To bed. To sleep, perchance to dream.
- Noon -- Boy/Girl Party. 7th & 8th graders only. One other parent there to protect us from things going all Lord of the Flies.
- 4:00 -- party over. Repeating the sleep thing.
I don't care if your brother's mother's sister's hairdresser has free backstage passes to Sarah Palin being tarred and feathered by Keith Olberman and Rachel Maddow -- don't call me. The phone will be off. I won't be reading my e-mail. I won't be returning messages. I will not be answering the bell. If awake, I expect I will be sitting on the edge of my bed, rocking back and forth, muttering "Oh my dog. Oh my dog. Oh my dog. Oh my dog. Oh my dog. "
Tuesday through Friday Noon: Work
Friday Noon: Leaving for Shell Cottage!