Friday, December 30, 2005

The End of 2005.


Kindergarten -- 1969 Posted by Picasa

I came across this photo while looking for another picture on my computer.

The memory that accompanies this photo is a precious one. My parents had separated and were in the process of a very bitter divorce and custody battle. My mom had moved out, and my dad was, I know now, struggling under the responsibilities of working full time and managing four boys -- one with special needs and another just starting kindergarten.

The day before picture day -- my first -- I was insistent that the only shirt I wanted to wear was the shirt in the picture. Unfortunately, the shirt was dirty, and this was before wash and wear fabrics -- it would need to be washed, dried, starched and ironed before I could wear it, and it wasn't likely to happen in time.

My brother Mark, who would love fore people to think he is a big, bad mofo, stayed up late washing and drying the shirt. He then rose early and ironed it. I can still feel the warm fabric slipping onto my arms and smell the fresh scent.

Mark is an incredible person. For more than a decade he cared for our father who had had several strokes. When our mother became ill, he and his wife went above and beyond the call of duty for her -- especially given the 35 years of distance in their relationship. Mark has a highly developed sense of duty and loyalty.

It might sound sappy, but in the New Year, I resolve to be more like Mark.

May 2006 be filled with Joy and Blessings.

And pudding. Pudding is good too. Joy, Blessings and pudding.

3 comments:

boobookittyfug said...

What an adorable little boy you were. 1969 is the year I graduated from Bowen HS. You think you have a strange beginning to a blog -- go see mine -- http://colorpatterntexture.blogspot.com/

knitfriendly said...

That is such a precious story. Your brother sounds like a very special person. Your resolution is the first heart-felt one that I have read! Happy Knitting and happy new year.

Allan said...

I resolve to be more like your brother too.