Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Knitting Weather

We are currently smack-dab in the middle of my favorite season -- winter in Chicago. Last week we had a significant snow storm, followed by some serious cold. Wonderful weather for puttin' on the flannel jammies, slipping the feet into fleece-lined slippers, ploppin' down in an overstuffed chair with a pot of tea, a bit of chocolate, something interesting on the iPod, and knitting the evening away.

If asked to describe life in heaven, I think that would be it. Except that in heaven I am buff and don't have to worry about the price of yarn!

I have been listening quite a bit to knitting podcasts as I work furriously on my last-minute projects. I am quite fond of Brenda Dayne's Cast-On, which is both informative, entertaining, and relaxing. A native of the U.S, but a resident of Wales, her wistful piece on Thanksgiving in Wales is reminiscent of Truman Capote and Bailey White. Brenda's third episode included an essay by a Chicago knitter, Franklin Habit, which was very well written and wickedly funny. (And I loved hearing another man talk about knitting! I hope to meet him someday!)

This coming weekend Norbert and I are going to Wisconsin for out synagogue's annual Congregational Retreat, which is held at OSRUI, the Reform Jewish camp. He is over-the-moon excited about it, I less so. Myfanwe is not going with us -- she's going to stay home with the puppy and get some work done. She has never enjoyed the retreats as much as Norbert and I do, but I will miss her. Oh well.

I'm taking a braided-cable scarf in grey Peruvian wool to finish, and probably enough of the grey to start a matching hat -- gifts for my nephew. In the wings I have 1000 yards of black wool for a scarf and hat for me, and 800 yards or so of a rich royal blue for a Mobius scarf for my sister-in-law. Plenty to keep me busy for a few weeks.

No comments: