Thursday, December 15, 2005

Hyacinths to Feed the Soul



I finished the scarf I have been knitting for my nephew, Sean. I breathed a sigh of relief -- it took a very, very long time. (At least it was a long time for me -- two weeks.) Sean is one of my favorite people, so it was totally worth it. Worsted weight on size 7 needles. Nice and dense with garter stitch panels which make it nice and warm and an open-braid cable for show.

I immediately started a Mobius scarf for my sister-in-law, Laurie, who teaches high school chemistry and physics. She'll get a kick out of showing it to her students. I wanted to knit the scarf using a provisional cast on so that I could graft the ends together, but no matter how hard I tried, no matter how many times I viewed the video, I couldn't get it. So I cast on with my regular knit-on cast and I will graft the ends together when I am done.



Laurie's Mobius has a reversible pattern, so the twist won't be too obvious, and it is knit in more of the Wool of the Andes Peruvian wool from KnitPicks.com -- in Hyacinth. I love the name of the color because my mother, z"l, always used to recite the following poem:

If of thy mortal good thou art bereft
And of thy slender store two loaves alone to thee are left,
Sell one, and with the dole
Buy hyacinths to feed thy soul.


Words to live by, without a doubt. And for me, my hyacinths come in skeins!

No comments: