Saturday, April 05, 2008

Chaos.

Myfanwe and I started packing the kitchen. This has been more painful than I care to admit. I have so many pots and pans and accoutrement - I make Julia Child seem like a minimalist.

The big heartache -- and I do mean heartache -- is that I fear I will get my dream kitchen, but not the kitchen of my dreams. Does that make any sense to you?

I have said many times that I am the luckiest man alive. I have absolutely everything I need and almost everything I want. What is it that I want but do not have? A professional style stove. One that can really handle the kind of cooking I do. One with burners that put out heat like Natalie Portman. And I had one picked out.

But then the bids started coming in about $2k more than we wanted them to.

I'm sad.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Yes, but you got BIDS! Last we heard somebody was spreading all sorts of stories and people were refusing to bid. And remember, you can always save up for the stove later. It will give the kitchen a little "kick" in a couple of years when the new stuff is old hat. Just leave room for it :)

btw - I actually got to 370m Friday and then the boss came back from business trip and I had another project!

Cheri said...

Your dream kitchen vs the kitchen of your dreams makes perfect sense. We built our house 15 years ago and people often ask if it's our dream house....I think sometimes it's more that than the house of our dreams.

I hope that you love love love your new kitchen.