Sunday, January 04, 2009

History


This afternoon Myfanwe, Norbert & I got to watch President-Elect Obama's motorcade as it passed, taking the President-Elect to Washington. We waved. I didn't care if we looked odd. (Though thank Dog the CNN footage we just saw on the tube started just feet past where we were!)

It was a moving experience. I first met President Obama when he was first elected to the Illinois General Assembly twelve or so years ago. (Myfanwe and I were both lobbyists at the time.) When we moved to Hyde Park 11 years ago, he became my State Senator, then my U.S. Senator, and then he became my neighbor.

It is hard to reconcile the guy who stood in line at Walgreens with the guy who will be the leader of the free world. I mean -- our dog has pooped in their yard! (We pick up after her, not to worry.) And now the guy living at the corner who walked the three blocks to pick up his dry cleaning is now the President of the United States! Doesn't that sound like some sort of weird fan fiction?

Sad, though, that the guy who likes walking around the neighborhood won't ever be able to take walks like that again.

I'm hopeful President Obama can make some sense of things and get us pointed in the right direction once again. I also pray that it won't be at too great a price.

G-dspeed, Mr. Obama. We are very, very proud of you. You are in our prayers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are SO lucky...to have known this great man before he became famous.

I too have hope that he will unite our country and make it a leader again, not a target.

Anonymous said...

This is a great country, isn't it?!

Anonymous said...

By the way, you never shared with us what the absolutely perfect gift you got Myfanwe was! You know, the one you were so giddy about. Please share!