Sunday, January 08, 2006

Stitches in Britches Lives!

With the help of Franklin and a new aquaintance, Jonathon, I have made significant strides towards establishing Stitches in Britches -- a new men's knitting group here in the Chicago area.

We have a Yahoo group site, Stitches in Britches, and we have arranged meetings on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of each month from 6:30 to 9;30 p.m. at the Borders Cafe at 150 N. State Street.

I am 20% finished with the cream asymetrical wrap I am knitting for the Akiba auction. Yesterday I purchased a rotor cutter and mat so I could start my next project. I have about 8 yards of a purple knit fabric I used a couple of times to cover tables, but am not using currently. So I am cutting the fabric into approximately 1/2 inch strips, tying the strips together, and balling the resulting "yarn". When I have it all balled, I plan to knit a throw rug for our bedroom. I haven't swatched it yet, but I'm trying to conceptualize the results on a large needle vs. an extra-large needle. I think for a rag rug I'd like it to be a little tight. But it will all become clear in the swatching.

Today we are off to Devon to go shopping in the Indian markets -- one of our favorite outings and one of the reasons I could never live in a small town again. I love the diversity of experiences available. I'll try to remember to take pictures.

1 comment:

the fiddlin' fool said...

I love the Devon markets, too. We took our visiting aunt and uncle up there for an afternoon of shopping and food. They absolutely loved it.

The wrap sounds like quite an interesting project.