Monday, January 16, 2006

Time Out!

I was really lazy this weekend when it came to my knitting. I had so much going on this week that I felt my creative powers were best served by rest.

That said, I picked up sock yarn on Friday to serve as an incentive to finish the wrap currently in progress. I finished the first piece of the wrap and cast on the second and got about an inch knit in the course of the weekend. Now I'll just settle in and get it done so I can move on to my first socks!

I recently found a great sale at Sur La Table and couldn't help myself. I bought the Nordicware Holiday Tree Bundt pan. Originally $30.00, I got it on sale for $3.50! What's that you say? But I'm Jewish? What do I need with a "Holiday Tree" pan? (Please stop sounding like my wife!) Well, aside from festive cakes for Tu B'Shvat, tree cakes are appropriate for any occasion. I baked two chocolate sour cream cakes in it this weekend (one for neighbors and one for us) and they were both absolutely beautiful. And despite her criticisms, my wife ate the cake and hasn't become an evangelical yet. (Although one taste of my cooking has been known to give people a true and lasting belief in G-d!)

I was thinking maybe for the fall making a yellow cake batter and dividing it into bowls where some of it can be colored moss green, some a rich rust, some a bold gold and some a chocolate brown. Then I could spoon the batters in at random and let the cake bake up into trees in fall colors!

I mean, IT WAS ONLY $3.50!

Saturday we had our new dryer delivered, so I spent most of the weekend doing laundry. No complaints -- after 3 months of line-dried socks, I was happy to do it!

We did celebrate the laundry effort by going out for dinner Saturday night for Korean. I can't really tell you the name of the restaurant -- I had their card translated from Korean and the card says "Jae Joo Hae Mool", but the credit card receipt says something else altogether. The English sign over the entrance (3326 W. Bryn Mawr in Chicago) says "Korean Noodle Restaurant". This is my favorite everyday Korean restaurant. Their side dishes are not as numerous as in many Korean restaurants -- this time we had the ubiquitous kim chee, a spicy daikon salad, a sweeter daikon salad, slices of home made tofu topped with a spicy sauce, and been sprout salad. I would have liked those little spicy crispy fish. Yum. Anyway, We ordered fried mandoo, (my favorite -- and really done well here), duk mandoo guk -- s soup of beef broth, rice cake, and dumplings, and bul go gi. Everything was superb. I love their fried mandoo because a) they never fall apart, which is one of my pet peeves, and b) the sauce they bring for dipping is really sublime. I always wish I knew enough Korean to ask if I can buy some.

Sunday I made tandoor chicken, naan, a massor dal with lots of sautéed onions and a little tamarind, cauliflower in a Punjabi spinach sauce (a jarred sauce from Trader Joe's), cucumber raita, Sri Lankan sambol, and spiced basmati rice. I was going to make a rice pudding, but I had the cake, so I decided to make the pudding next time.

Now we are back to the work week, and I am determined to spend my lunch hours this week knitting. I keep telling myself "This is one more row towards completion!" I don't know if I'll be able to make it to my Activity Formerly Known as Stitch n Bitch. (there has been a little pissiness about trademark infringement by a shitty company in New York called Sew Fast Sew Easy -- or is it So Fat So Crappy? I forget.) Anyway, I might not make mine tonight...I'm a little worn out.

1 comment:

the fiddlin' fool said...

Wow. $3.50 for anything at Sur La Table is a steal.

Indian food is one of my favorite cuisines to prepare, and it's really tasty, too. I've even read about how to build your own tandoor-style earthen oven out of mud in your backyard (though I don't think our landlord would appreciate us digging up the garden).

You have to post pictures when you finish the wrap / start the sock. What kind of self-striping yarn did you get again?