Sunday, February 11, 2007

WE HAVE A WINNER!

AND I'M STILL A BAD PERSON, SO YOU PROBABLY DON'T WANT TO READ ANY FURTHER...


As an avid knitter, I peruse the feeds from Fashion Week, paying particular attention to the knitwear in every collection. I like to figure out how it was made, if it was hand knit or machine made, and if it was particularly inventive or skillful. Lots of times I am disappointed -- either by the lack of knitwear or the thoroughly pedestrian stuff designers will send out on a model or by the inability of designers to design something that looks good on the human figure.

As I was watching the Chado Ralph Rucci collection, on piece caught my eye. I thought the long knit panel down the front was interesting, and the shrug-like sleeve looked quite fun. It wasn't until I saw a closeup from the back that I recognized the incredible skill that went into making this design, and I hereby bow to its creator.

I am completely in awe. look at the detail. Look at the shaping. Look at how, even at the bottom edge of the garment, where structure is important, Rucci is able to add structure without making it heavy or clunky. Look at how it drapes on the model. ..and how the "v" of the lacing is mirrored in the inverted "v" in the shrug. Look at the knot of hair. Oh, I'm just all gushy.

Just so no one thinks I've gone soft, the following picture made me so happy, I almost wet myself. Again, it's like Christmas. Only this time, instead of a model picking up the shoe, some woman who looked a lot like Diana Ross jumped up on the runway and picked it up.



OK, the resemblance is minimal. Granted, the woman doesn't look like the "Do You Know Where You're Goin' To..." Theme from Mahogany Diana Ross. But if you squint a little, she does looks like the arrested in Connecticut, drunk driving, grocery shopping Ross. Her last album got so little notice, maybe this is what she's doing for attention these days. If so, she should comb her hair.

No comments: